Page 1

Starting a new chapter of life is always an exciting and nerve-racking experience. There are certain moments in everyone’s life where change is not only expected, but also very obvious. For example, leaving high school and starting college or getting married. Change is inevitable and it’s one of the few things you can always count on in life. For me, I never expected to be experiencing a new chapter of my life at 21 years old and a junior in college, but here I am.

After completing my first two years of college at Slippery Rock University in Pennsylvania, I was fairly content with my life and the track it had taken. I had finally decided on my major, Public Relations with a minor in social media, I was on the women’s basketball team and I had made a couple solid and loyal friends. Everything seemed to be all right. However, as the spring semester came to an end and I moved back to Akron, Ohio to start my summer job, I started to question my college experience and most importantly, my happiness. Was Slippery Rock really the best school for me to advance in Public Relations? Was I improving as a basketball player? Did I even enjoy playing basketball? Was I really happy being where I was or was I settling?

The more I asked myself these questions, the more I realized I needed to make some changes. I started researching and looking into other schools. When I stumbled across Ohio Northern, I knew it was the perfect fit, but was that enough to make me pack my bags (and I had a lot of them), leave the friendships I spent two years building, and start over? This was a “big girl” decision that could change the course of my life, and frankly I didn't feel old enough or mature enough to be making it.  

Thankfully, something very important clicked in my head while contemplating my decision this summer. Life is not about being comfortable. Life is about growth and new experiences, challenging decisions and meeting new people. I had gotten so comfortable in the small, little bubble of Slippery Rock, Pennsylvania that I didn’t realize how unhappy I was. So, I did it. I left. I started over. It wasn’t an easy decision, but I know it was the right decision. I may not have as many friends, know my way around campus, or know the difference between Cosi and NOM, but at least I’m growing and experiencing. I am putting myself in a better position academically and athletically. So, as I start this new chapter of my life I can confidentially say that the pen is in my hand, and I’m writing the story the way I want to live it.

Comments

  1. It takes a lot of guts to transfer schools at any point in time. Welcome to ONU though and I hope that you feel at home here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good job ! I am proud of you .... Keep making those decisions. Life is all about the choices we make and that we learn from them. Keep looking forward 👍

    ReplyDelete
  3. First of all welcome to Ohio Northern University. I know a little about how you are feeling. It takes a lot of courage to move from a home but in the end I can honestly say it will benefit you in the long run. The PR professors here are amazing and are always there to help you with life and school. Once again welcome to ONU. I hope you end up loving it here as much as I do.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad that you like it here in our little town of Ada. There are always a ton of things that are being put on by different organization around campus. I think you'll grow to love it here! Welcome!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts