From Nikes to Heels

What does it mean to be an athlete? For some, the meaning stops when you step out of bounds; the sport is nothing more than the ball, the court and a hoop. It's an after school hobby or an excuse to stay in shape. It's a way to be involved or appease mom and dad.

However for many people, including myself, the significance of being an athlete resonates much deeper. The court feels like home, the ball a natural grip, the hoop a familiar friend. It's a place where you find your most cherished memories, your first love and your greatest heartbreaks. Sometimes, teammates turn into family and a childhood hobby becomes second nature.

As we get older, we start spending more time on school and less time consumed by athletics. Our passion for the game takes a back seat to majors, GPAs and internships. And although our athletic careers are still important, we realize they will inevitably come to an end.

In my article, From Nikes to Heels: How Being an Athlete Makes Me a Better Professional (published on national PRSSA Progressions blog), I discuss the impact basketball has made on my life and how the lessons I learned through the game molded me into the person-- and professional-- I am today.


The game may eventually end, but its influence will last a lifetime.


Comments

Popular Posts