Airplane Reads

source: https://www.instagram.com/p/BQvr46hB1Qi/

If you’ve ever traveled on an airplane, you understand the necessity of keeping yourself busy when you’re 40,000 feet in the sky with no Wi-Fi connection. Whether it’s a book you’ve been reading, a game on your phone or a comfy pillow for sleeping; having an activity to feed your attention is always a good idea. Otherwise, be prepared for a long, boring flight with a small bag of pretzels and the “Delta Sky Magazine.”

Over Thanksgiving break I traveled to Atlanta, Georgia to visit my sister, Lauren. After living in New York City for three years, Lauren recently moved to Atlanta with her husband and Labrador puppy. I was excited to see my family, explore the city and meet Sunny, my new puppy niece. However, shortly after my parents dropped me off at the Cleveland Hopkins Airport, I realized I had forgotten my airplane essentials; a book and a snack.

After finding my gate, I headed to the nearest airport shop in search of some reading material. The store was filled with magazines, food items and Cleveland apparel. Two shelves were stacked to the ceiling with different books of every genre and author. I pulled some off the shelf, read the summary and flipped through the pages. I must’ve looked through five different books before finally coming across, “Harvard Business Review’s 10 Must Reads: On Emotional Intelligence.” I purchased the small blue book, found my seat and began reading while I waited for my plane.

“HBR’s 10 Must Reads: On Emotional Intelligence,” by Daniel Goleman was not only about the factors and components of emotional intelligence, but the influence of emotional intelligence on a person’s ability to lead others. It discussed the importance of self-awareness, self-regulation, motivation, empathy and social skills. Goleman stated, “I have found that the most effective leaders are alike in one crucial way: They all have a high degree of emotional intelligence.” The book went on to present evidence and statistics that suggest although IQ and technical skills are important, they are only entry-level requirements for executive and other high level leadership positions.

As a public relations major with a natural fascination for psychology, sociology and the way people think, I was especially interested by the studies and data presented in this book. I thought about my own emotional intelligence and leadership tendencies. I considered my strengths and weaknesses. I thought about my empathy, self-awareness and self-regulation. While I flew 40,000 feet above the clouds, I was reflecting, learning and growing as a person.


When you’re willing and motivated to learn, inspiration is hiding everywhere you look, from an airport shop, to the pages of a little blue book. Suddenly, that hour and a half flight to Atlanta isn’t so boring after all.

Comments

Popular Posts