The Peak & The Pit

If you’ve never taken a life lesson from the Kardashian’s, I don’t blame you. The famous family is typically a prime example of how not to act. In 2014, however, I stole a family tradition from the reality TV show that I still use today. (And yes, I’ll admit I’ve watched the show). At the end of a characteristically wild and drama-filled episode, the Kardashian-Jenner clan sat around the dinner table and told stories of their late father, Robert Kardashian. They reminisced of his favorite dinnertime ritual, asking each person the peak (high) and the pit (low) of their day.  I’ve loved the concept ever since.

Over the years, I’ve shared the idea with my teammates, friends and family.  My teammates and I used to discuss our highs and lows every day in the locker room before practice. It was a great way to decompress, find balance and leave our daily emotions outside the gym. Reflecting on the peak of each day will keep you optimistic. Whether it’s a good grade or a much-needed nap, there’s always something to be thankful for. Conversely, sharing the pit of your day will keep you grounded and gives you a few moments to vent.

As finals week approaches and the 2017 fall semester comes to an end, I want to share my high and low moments of the past five months.

Peak
Although there were several great experiences throughout my fall semester, one experience was particularly memorable. My best friends and I took a spontaneous road trip to watch the ONU football team play Mount Union, the number two ranked team in the nation. It doesn’t sound like something fancy or significant, but we had a great time. The spontaneity of the trip made it exciting and the company of genuine friends made it worthwhile. I don’t think we stopped laughing the entire weekend. The weather was beautiful and we got to see our best friends play the game they love. We still reminisce on the funny and unforgettable moments. Sometimes the most unexpected and unplanned experiences make the best memories.

Pit
The hardest part of this semester was quitting the sport I’ve played my entire life. When you’ve devoted endless amounts of time, energy and passion to something, letting it go is never easy. Basketball shaped me into the person I am today, and choosing to take a seat on the sidelines for my final senior season felt like I was losing a part of myself. It required some sleepless nights, a few tears and a whole lot of reassurance from the people I love. Fortunately, life does go on after basketball and I'm confident I made the right decision. I’m rediscovering myself every day and I’m thankful to have the support system and the courage to do so. Sometimes the hardest tasks are the best lessons.


So, thank you, Kardashians, for giving me one piece of advice I’ll continue to use. I encourage you to start reflecting on your highs and lows, whether it’s every day, every month or at the end of each semester; I promise, it helps.

Comments

  1. I love this, and also make my friends and family do this way more than they probably want to. My peak this semester was seeing your lovely smiling face every Thursday. My pit was all of the other days I didn't get to see you.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts