Saved by the Bell

We turn the pages of our planners to the last month of the year, prepare for final exams, bundle up and trudge to class. The remnants of the fall semester will exist solely in letter grades and test scores. December is the inevitable beginning to an end. We welcome it with open arms and anticipation. We organize for new schedules and research future professors. We are impatient for classes to conclude and hopeful a better chapter will begin. However, each semester brings a predictable cycle; new professors, new challenges, new anxieties and new complaints.

Hating school has become a popular attitude. I can’t tell you the number of times I’ve heard someone jokingly say, “I’m dropping out and working at McDonald’s.” Twitter is flooded with funny gifs and photos related to the abundant workload and anxiety students regularly express (I admit, I’m guilty of retweeting them). We live in a college culture where staying up all night to finish an assignment that’s due the next day is viewed as an achievement worth bragging about. Complaining about being tired, stressed and overworked is just common small talk.
I believe, some students are genuinely and rightfully stressed. I realize that some majors are more difficult than others and require a greater time commitment. I understand that many students juggle various extra curricular activities, athletics, jobs and classes. However, the majority of students complaining about their anxiety and stress are typically the students who bring it amongst themselves. Our generation needs to get tough, stop complaining and realize that college isn’t meant to be easy. If we only spend 15 minutes studying for an exam, we have no right to whine about receiving a poor grade.

In the real world, they won’t care if you have three tests in one day, a game the night before a project is due or a group that’s uncooperative. We must learn to handle adversity, manage our time and have better self-discipline.Yes, sometimes the work sucks, but learning is a privilege, especially when it’s something you're passionate about and will lead you to a bright future. Because let's be honest, no one actually wants to work at McDonald's for the rest of their life. 

So ask yourself, are you legitimately stressed? Do you really feel overworked? Are you doing everything you can to get the best grade possible? Or, are you complaining simply to complain?  

Comments

  1. You are right ... in the work world what matters is if you completed the work an time and the quality in which it was completed .... work you can take personal pride in the manner in which you completed it !

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this post! I try to have this same attitude as I think people stress about the little things way too much (I am guilty of this). I love the saying, "Forget how stressed you are and remember how blessed you are." When I am stressed I remind myself about all the wonderful things college has taught me and how blessed I am to have the opportunity to go obtain a college degree! Thank you for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts