Hidden Passions


I've always been interested in photography. When I was 14 years old, I spent every dollar I had stuffed in my pink, Aeropostale wallet on my first single-lens reflex (SLR) camera. It was a Canon Rebel XS and it cost me a whopping $700 (that’s two birthdays and a Christmas worth of cash for a seventh-grader). I remember wandering around my house and aimlessly strolling through my neighborhood, searching for anything interesting to photograph. I knew little about the functionality of the camera, the settings remained carefully placed on ‘auto’ and the other buttons were only touched on accident. Flowers, streetlights, laughing friends, lakeshores and my dog, Halle, were a few of my favorite memories captured through my middl-school lens.

As I got older, the practicality of a chunky, SLR camera withered away. I could pull out my iPhone and snap a high-quality photo with the tap of my finger. My once prize possession sat on the shelf collecting dust, while an Apple product filled its place. I never truly appreciated the Canon Rebel XS, nor did I ever really understand photography.

This semester I am taking a class called Photography and Communication. I set the iPhone aside, dusted off the Canon and took a second chance on a forgotten passion. I’m learning how to utilize the buttons I was once afraid to touch. I’m learning about color, temperature and exposure. I’m adjusting aperture, shutter speed and ISO. I’m shooting in a setting other than ‘auto.’ I’m appreciating the “chunky SLR camera” for what it’s worth. Photography is so much more than a good angle, an interesting landscape and an Instagram filter. Thanks to this class, I’m learning a hobby I will value for the rest of my life and I’m excited to see where it leads. We all have hidden passions, but are we all willing to find them? 

Comments

  1. I absolutely LOVED photography when I took it freshman year. So much so that I actually invested in a new camera this summer because the one I used for the class bit the dust shortly after the class ended. It's amazing to learn about everything that goes into good photography.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Photography is such an amazing skill to have. Glad that you are getting to learn and have fun with something you used to do, Shannon! Can't wait to see some of your photos!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so jealous. I love photography! It's one of the only ways that I am able to show my artistic side. You are going to have to let me know how the class goes, because its definitely a class that I would look into taking.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know absolutely nothing about photography but I love looking at pictures. The way a moment can be captured forever or the way a neighborhood looks on a Sunday afternoon. The simplicity of them and the complexity all at the same time. I hope you get some great pictures and share with the class anytime you'd like. We'd love to see them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this post! Also, you're going to have to teach me everything you learn from this class, cause I have no idea how to use my big DSLR either. Let's take a photography adventure together, soon!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts